homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:10:49 -0400

Lynda wrote:

And it is interesting how the definitions differ from coast to coast. Out here riparian forests are frequently huge tracks of land numbering in the thousands of acres. Here's a picture of Putah Creek :
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_landscape_index&enlarge=6121+1611+1703+0023

That looks like most of the rivers and waterways around here. Good canoeing landscape, but how far away from the creek do the trees extend?

Here's the Arcata Marsh which is being restored and used for water treatment. http://www.cityofarcata.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=177&g2_itemId=182

Cool. I would not have guessed that that was in No Cal. It reminds me of coastal GA, FL, or the Carolinas.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.