homestead - Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Southern California fires
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:41:20 -0700 (PDT)

James,
Do you (are anyone else here) dislike compact cities
any less than sprawling cities.
I was the quintessential country boy wanting to go the
city. I should have gone to Chicago, but I got
settled in Phx before I realized there was no city
there, only very large suburbs.
I still like cities that are compact enough to live a
normal life without a car. But by now I am glad to
return to the country.
Though I'm disappointed that this county at least is
filling with commuters who don't farm, so becoming
more of as suburb with 20-60 acre lots and shopping
centers every 50 miles.

Earlier discussion about feeling at home. I do
believe Missouri is a good place to feel at home in,
though I am biased by the fact that my family have
been in this county since the 1830s and I was born in
the same house my grandmother was. It was a farm that
had been in the family for 3 generations then,
extended to over 100 years before strip mines forced
them to trade for a similar place on the other side of
the creek.

Back home after 40 years stuck in the desert.

Van Dell