freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Ubuntu, iodbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: mohnd AT egolfscore.com, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Ubuntu, iodbc
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:38:00 -0400

Dan Mohn wrote:

> I tried;
>
> /usr/local/freetds/bin/bsqlodbc -S dsn=eGolfScore Prod;uid=xxx;pwd=xxx

What does your odbc.ini look like? I would expect:

bsqlodbc -S "eGolfScore Prod" -U xxx -P xxx

where odbc.ini has

[eGolfScore Prod]
servername = <freetds name>
[etc.]

> However, I decided to try something with iodbctest. I connected to the
> above dsn with iodbctest. Then I did a select * from a table with about
> 1000 rows, it returned the data. I did the select again, but this time
> after it started spitting stuff back, I pulled the network plug. After
> waiting bout 20 minutes, it still had not responded back. My
> FreeTDS.conf has timeout set to 10.
>
> So can I assume that FreeTDS is not communicating back to iodbc with the
> timeout error?

That's what I would conclude, although it's not clear if where the
communication is breaking down. :-( You've demonstrated the db-lib
works, using bsqldb. No ODBC thing you've tried has worked.

It could be the error handling (not generation). I would like to know
what bsqlodbc does. Beyond that, I'm a little lost. Freddy's unit test
works; I expect my bsqlodbc to work too. If they do, that suggests
problems *catching* the error, something that might exist in RealBasic,
too. If bsqlodbc fails, then we clearly have work to do on our end.

I appreciate your patience. It's good feed back for us.

Regards,