freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Ubuntu, iodbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Ubuntu, iodbc
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:22:07 -0400

Dan Mohn wrote:
> First, I currently have FreeTDS .63 and iODBC 3.52.4 installed on Ubuntu
> 6.10. Everything runs fine, except, the timeout issue I have been
> reading about. In my application this is a real issue. So, I want to
> create a build of the current nightly build 20070401. I uninstalled the
> FreeTDS .63 I had installed. Moved the download to a folder and run
> ./configure, make, make install. After figuring out a few dev packages I
> needed installed, it now seems to build without errors. I then use
> iodbcadm-gtk to point to the new libtdsodbc.so file that was created
> from my build. Now when I run my application (RealBasic using ODBC) I
> get "Unable to Connect to Datasource". I run "tsql -S my.server.ip -U
> myusername -P mypassord" and it tells me "There was a problem connecting
> to the server".

Where is your freetds.conf? I suspect your snapshot build is looking for
it in a different place.

You may find that your 0.63 package was configured with
--prefix=/usr/local/freetds (I think that was the default back then),
causing your freetds.conf to be located in /usr/local/freetds/etc. That
was changed quite awhile ago; the default now is /usr/local/etc:

$ tsql -C
Compile-time settings (established with the "configure" script)
Version: freetds v0.65.dev.20060920
freetds.conf directory: /usr/local/etc
[...]

You can do one of three things:

1. move freetds.conf to /usr/local/etc.
2. use an environment variable (not recommended except for testing).
3. reconfigure with the old prefix.

You're going in the only direction possible if you want corrected timeout
handling. ;-)

HTH.