freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Ubuntu, iodbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: mohnd AT egolfscore.com, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Ubuntu, iodbc
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 21:32:43 -0400

Dan Mohn wrote:
> I will note that with the pre-packaged
> freetds, I was able to do a DSN-less connection, but with the same
> setting I no longer seem to. But that could just be my lack of
> understanding.

Hello Dan,

When you connect DSN-less, you're relying on the built-in TDS version.
Your package might have used the --with-tdsver=7.0 configure option.

Glad to know things are working, though.

> When
> I disconnect from the network, the application still does not timeout.
> However, I have noticed that if I wait 1 min, or 15 min, or longer and
> re-establish the network connection, the application will then catch an
> odbc error.

There are timeout unit tests that bypass all the higher layers you're
using. Could I suggest you try the ODBC one? If it passes but doesn't
detect the kind of problem you're, well, creating, then we need a better
test.

Also please try my new bsqlodbc utility. Then tell us precisely how
you're testing: you issue query X, remove something, wait N seconds,
replace something, then something happens. Please try the same thing with
bsqldb, because that will help tell us where the problem is, if any.

I put a lot of time into this part of the project. It's tricky, but I
think I got it right. If it's not right and you can show me, I'm at your
service.

Regards,