corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 2:19 & Rom 7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rabbi Saul" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 2:19 & Rom 7
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:16:56 -0600

>Ummm.  Would then a competent God make an incompetent law?  Even more important, would a competent God make up such a convoluted scheme as to make up an incompetent law for the purpose of killing his Son so that the incompetent law could contravened?

On Paul's scheme, the law is not incompetent for the purpose which God gave it.  There is thus no problem.  "Convoluted scheme"?  What constitutes a "convoluted scheme?

As I understand him, Paul is saying that Torah is a system of accounting, because God being holy cannot simply pass by sin.  Nonetheless, Torah was never intended to be the foundation of life; it always pointed forward to the One in whom the accounting would be fulfilled.  Thus to speak of "contravention" is not really accurate, in Paul's terms.  Christ is Torah's goal, Rom 10.4 (teloV).  It was never presented as a schema that pointed towards itself, but as a regulatory covenant between the ages.  (Hence Paul's assessment in Rom 9.30ff that Israel sought *the law* in the wrong way.)

Complex?  Every decent story is.  Convoluted?  Well, I guess that's your judgment, but I personally see no need to make it.

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
Conrad, MT

Pauline studies:
http://www.rabbisaul.com

(406) 278-5846 / (406) 278-7809