corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 2:19 & Rom 7

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Matthew Estrada <matt_estrada AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 2:19 & Rom 7
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:57:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Richard and Tim,

You wrote:

meta <meta AT rraz.net> wrote:
Response to Tim Gallant.
ME:   I beg to differ from you:  Torah always was and still is intended
be a means of achieving perfection, and this is obvious IMO from its
reading.  Very simply, God had expectations of perfection from his
creation--all of it, even the cosmos.  And it was presented (written)
as the
means of justification. And it had its own context.  If you take off
your
rose-colored theological glasses I think IMHO you will understand this,
but
I am not meaning to be disrespectful.  This is the problem: if you
conceive
the context of biblical truth to be completely holistic at all of its
times
and stages, then you will completely misread it.

Response:

First allow me to say that I am enjoying this dialogue immensely. Thank you to all parties.

Richard, I would encourage you to read my poorly written, but fascinating paper on John 1-4 (concentrating on the Cana Miracle). John's Gospel is largely dependent upon Pauline theology, in my opinion. He attempts, in his use of the character John the Baptist as a personification of "the Law and the Prophets", to demonstrate to 1) "the Jews" that their misinterpretation of the Law and the Prophets (=as a means to salvation) is incorrect; 2) his audience that a correct interpretation and application of the Law and the Prophets leads one to seeing Jesus as the promised Jewish messiah. I think you might find this interesting to see how John, a Jew, reads and interprets the Law and attempts to correct a misreading of that same Law.

Tim, if you could read my paper to the end, I think you might find it very interesting.

My paper can be found at the following link on Joe Gagne's website: http://www.fourthgospel.com/estrada.htm

Matthew Estrada

113 Laurel Court

Peachtree City, Ga 30269