corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Ian W. Scott" <iscott2 AT uwo.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:14:59 -0400

John wrote:

>. . . I cannot see Paul
> saying that they are no longer to employ the law as school master since by
> the law
> comes knowledge of sin which, for the prophet Isaiah, is what keeps God from
> bringing
> the blessings of the covenant to bear on the nation (Isaiah 59 quoted in
> Romans 3).
> There still has to be a fulfilling of the just requirement of the law.

Actually, Paul says explicitly that the law, as paidagwgos, functioned only
until the coming of Christ, and that after the coming of Christ "we"
(certainly
including himself and other Jewish Christians) were released from the care of
the paidagwgos (3:24-25). He does see the need to "fulfil" the law, but only
(as per 5:13-14) through mutual love, and he says explicitly in 5:18 that
those
led by the spirit are not under Torah (ouk este hupo nomon). Moreover, in
describing the Antioch incident, Paul shows no qualms at all about Peter
having
"lived like a gentile and not like a Jew" (. . . ethnikws kai ouchi Ioudaikws
zhs, 2:14). I see here every indication that Paul understood Jews, as well as
Gentiles, to move outside the jurisdiction of Torah once they became believers
in Christ.

Ian.
Ian W. Scott
Lecturer in Religious Studies
King's University College (at the University of Western Ontario)
email: iscott2 AT uwo.ca
Please visit my web-site at http://www.ian-w-scott.com