corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Brand" <jbrand AT gvsd.mb.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:59:16 -0500

> Well, IMHO, Paul explains what he means in 3.10, 13. I understand
> Paul to be saying that Christ's death was the bearing of Torah's curse
> against apostasy, and by bearing that curse, Israel is moved out from
> under the bonded covenant of Moses.

John:
Would you then take Paul to be saying that Jew as well as the Gentile were
not to
observe the law? I see him saying that they cannot rely on the law to do
within them
what only the Holy Spirit can do (cf. Deuteronomy 30:11ff) but I cannot see
Paul
saying that they are no longer to employ the law as school master since by
the law
comes knowledge of sin which, for the prophet Isaiah, is what keeps God from
bringing
the blessings of the covenant to bear on the nation (Isaiah 59 quoted in
Romans 3).
There still has to be a fulfilling of the just requirement of the law.

Tim:
I've worked this up as an aspect
> of a forthcoming essay, but you can find some of the material in my
> article here:
>
> http://www.rabbisaul.com/overview.htm

John:
Thanks. I will enjoy comparing notes with you on this subject. Let me take a
look at this
article and get back to you.