corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Forgiveness as a central concern of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Forgiveness as a central concern of Paul
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:51:22 -0700

Jeffrey Gibson asked: Is forgiveness really a central
concern of Paul?

Jeffrey,

It is rare in so many words, but the issue seems solidly in
the 7 letters considered authentically of Paul. Romans 4:7
is the most obvious. Here Paul ties forgiveness from the
Psalm (32) with his righteousness apart from works (4:6).
Also - 1 Corinthians 15:17 - this verse seems to have a
direct parallel in John's Gospel: John 8:21 and 24. (I have
been wondering was John influenced by Paul? or vice versa?
or is this a case of concurrent implications of the meaning
of faith. Certainly John has at the centre of many of his
chiastic structures the issue of believing, a central aspect
of the Pauline message also.)

Bob

Bob MacDonald
http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca