corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rabbi Saul" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationshipbetween Faith and Works
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:41:33 -0600

> Rabbi Saul wrote:
> >
> > That's an intriguing possibility, particularly in view of 2.19: "I
> > *through the law* died to the law." I take this to mean that through
> > Torah's death sentence which was laid upon Christ, Paul was removed
> > out from under Torah's covenantal bond. Thus, correlating with your
> > suggestion: the only way in which Torah justifies is precisely
> > through that sentence, which Christ faithfully bore.
>
> John:
> My own interpretation of 2:19 is that Torah brought Paul to a point of
realizing his utter
> helplessness in fulfilling the demands of Torah (i.e. Romans 7). His faith
still held to the
> truth of the law but his body was in rebellion. Rather than relieving the
tension by
> positing a fulfillment of the divine justice through a surrogate, he hoped
for a fulfillment
> of the law in those who live according to the Spirit (Romans 8:4). Those
who are led by
> the sarx cannot please God because they rely upon their own efforts to do
what can only
> be done by the inner work of the Holy Spirit in their hearts (i.e. the
writing of the law
> upon the human heart in terms of Jeremiah 29).

Well, IMHO, Paul explains what he means in 3.10, 13. I understand Paul to
be saying that Christ's death was the bearing of Torah's curse against
apostasy, and by bearing that curse, Israel is moved out from under the
bonded covenant of Moses. I've worked this up as an aspect of a forthcoming
essay, but you can find some of the material in my article here:

http://www.rabbisaul.com/overview.htm

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
Conrad, MT

Biblical Studies Center
http://www.timgallant.org/center.htm

Pauline studies: