commons-research - Re: [Commons-research] Culture and Science

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Giorgos Cheliotis <giorgos AT smu.edu.sg>
  • To: <commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Commons-research] Culture and Science
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:39:01 +0800

It would be great if we can somehow make sure that the science commons
people are involved in the research track of the isummit, at least on a
session regarding open tools and open data. Any advice on how we can make
this happen?

On 5/14/08 8:14 AM, "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Victoria Stodden <vcs AT stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> I proposed a hybrid of these two types of licenses for the computational
>
> research product ­ so all components are covered, and the scientist is
>
> encouraged to release every component of their research.

I'd suggest instead
> of a hybrid license that attempts to cover
everything using appropriate
> license(s) for each component: a OSD/FSD
compliant software license (which
> includes GPL) for source code, a CC
license (preferably CC BY) for papers and
> other non-software
copyrightable stuff, a PD dedication/waiver for data. This
> way each
component gets to play in the relevant commons. A new license
> that
covers everything would have to be incredibly careful to not
> be
incompatible with the much larger pools of
> free/open/libre
software/works/data.

Re data, please
http://sciencecommons.org/weblog/archives/2008/05/12/how-to-free-your-fact
> s/
and
> http://sciencecommons.org/projects/publishing/open-access-data-protocol/
or at
> least engage Science Commons in a discussion -- they've thought
tons about
> this stuff.
> :)

Mike