commons-research - [Commons-research] Culture and Science

commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Victoria Stodden <vcs AT stanford.edu>
  • To: <commons-research AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Commons-research] Culture and Science
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 12:26:28 -0400

Dear Folks,

I have made a submission to the iCommons research track and I was hoping to
bounce my idea off you for comment.

When I was at Stanford Law School last fall, I worked on an idea for a
research license for computational scientists - more and more of this type
of research is being done collaboratively on the web and this information
falls under copyright law by default. Copyright was created to prevent the
copying and dissemination of works such as performance art, literary work,
etc. Not for science. The scientific ethos is to encourage as much
"derivative work" (a.k.a. new scientific discoveries) by others as possible.
Many scientists are unaware of this fact and I believe a license rescinding
many of their copyright rights, in creative commons style, would greatly
facilitate scientific collaboration and advancement.

I have not yet published the licensing idea and I would love to present it
and receive critical comment. My belief is that our culture is shaped deeply
by scientific discoveries and how scientific research is promulgated is an
important topic to discuss.

I'm interested in your thoughts and happy to provide further details as
people would like.

Sincerely,
Victoria