cc-licenses - Re: Practical Free Culture

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Practical Free Culture
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:44:30 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> So, one thing that might be interesting for the CC Web site would be
> some tips for practical Free Culture.

> Anyways, I'm wondering if there's a good way to make these
> suggestions.

That was part of the reason I wrote Drafting the Gift Domain,
trying to explain the law and then trying to explain the culture.
I'm in the process of a major rewrite. too long. lacks focus.

What I think is missing are different types of "compilers".
if a bunch of people could download the same non-linear-editing
software for free, and work on a common project, you might see
large scale movie projects start up. a REALLY independent film
program.

Software projects are only one-third source code.
There is another third that is verification.
and another third is logistics, make files,
build scripts, compiling, linking, documenting.

A movie clip, by itself, is source code.
if anyone wants to do a full length film,
everyone on the project would have to
do all the splicing and editing on their
own software, and upload teh results.

There is some zero-cost CGI software you can get
on the web, but its not open source, and its
not exactly easy to use. I have another CGI
program called Poser that cost a couple hundred
dollars. so getting new people join a CGI movie
project is impossible. And neither one of these
programs does the non-linear-editing part to
allow you to cut and splice different clips
together.

http://www.anim8or.com
http://www.curiouslabs.com/products/poser5

Anecdotal evidence would point out that the first
programs released under the GNU-GPL license two
decades ago were an EDITOR and a COMPILER.
Both of which provided zero-cost to entry for
people to create or join new open source projects.

so, anyone who is starting a laundry list of things
that will make free content practical in movie
and music mediums can add free, common software
for putting the pieces together.