cc-licenses - Re: Practical Free Culture

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andrea Glorioso <andrea.glorioso AT agnula.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: developers AT lists.agnula.org, fugaz AT agnula.org
  • Subject: Re: Practical Free Culture
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:23:59 +0200

[Putting the developers AT lists.agnula.org mailing list in Cc:. To the
CC listadmin: if you want cc-licenses to be removed because we are OT,
please tell me and I will immediately comply]

> Evan Prodromou wrote:
>> For example: providing editable versions of Works, or versions
>> in some kind of "source" format. Some file formats are easier
>> to modify than others, and some formats are damn near
>> impossible. If you want to contribute to Remix Culture, you
>> should provide your Work in a format that's easy to edit and
>> remix.

> That's the idea behind <http://fourthwall.creativecommons.org>.

>> An example would be music. Yes, you can and should distribute
>> music in MP3 or Ogg Vorbis format, but you should also make
>> available WAV files or whatever track sources are needed.

> We're going to be working with archive.org and some other
> projects to encourage making WAV files available.

I'm not sure this is the right list to talk about this, but anyway..

The AGNULA project [0] has officially launched in February 2004 the
"AGNULA Libre Music" project [1], a web-accessible database of music
licensed under either of:

* Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 1.0 License
* Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 License
* EFF Open Audio License 1.0.1

Funding for the project ended in April 2004, so the main developer and
maintainer for the web site, Davide Fugazza <fugaz AT agnula.org> (who I
put in Cc: to this e-mail) is working on a volunteer basis.

Right now we are trying to publicize the project a bit more around
Italy and Europe, but what I'd very much like to do is get in touch
and sync with other, similar projects (i.e. libre content archives
devoted to music).

Some things that we are currently studying are:

- international mirrors of the database
- international network on streaming net radio, devoted only to Libre
Music
- a p2p network for Libre Music content?

I really hope we will be able to discuss how our and other people's
project can intermix between each other. I'm subscribed to this list,
but feel free to use the developers AT lists.agnula.org or mail me or
Davide Fugazza privately if you prefer.

bye,

--
Andrea Glorioso andrea.glorioso AT agnula.org
AGNULA Technical Manager http://www.agnula.org/

[0] http://www.agnula.org/
[1] http://muzik.agnula.org/