cc-licenses - Authority To Contribute - Eben Moglen

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Authority To Contribute - Eben Moglen
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:17:29 +0100

The third question and answer at the bottom of this page is informative:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/moglen-harvard-speech-2004.html

Note that the FSF handle the license and the disclaimer separately.

Why is that?

"in this respect, too, Mr. Stallman was quite prescient, because they are
going to recognize that the way they want their free software put together is
the way the Free Software Foundation put it together since now more than
twenty years. The way we're going, they're going to discover that they really
would like to have it, is for each individual contribution of code to a free
software project, if the guy who contributed the code was working in the
industry, they would really like to have a work-for-hire disclaimer from the
guy's employer, executed at the same time that the contribution was made. And
the filing cabinets at the Free Software Foundation are going to look to them
like an oasis in a desert of possible problems. We saw that problem coming.
We have tried in our act as stewards over a large part of the free software
in the world to deal with it. People are going to want to have that up front
for everything that they can possibly, and they're going to be much more
reluctant to rely on software that wasn't assembled in those ways."

- Rob.

  • Authority To Contribute - Eben Moglen, Rob Myers, 04/05/2004