cc-licenses - Re: Practical Free Culture

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Practical Free Culture
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:50:40 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
For example: providing editable versions of Works, or versions in some
kind of "source" format. Some file formats are easier to modify than
others, and some formats are damn near impossible. If you want to
contribute to Remix Culture, you should provide your Work in a format
that's easy to edit and remix.

That's the idea behind <http://fourthwall.creativecommons.org>.

An example would be music. Yes, you can and should distribute music in
MP3 or Ogg Vorbis format, but you should also make available WAV files
or whatever track sources are needed.

We're going to be working with archive.org and some other projects to encourage making WAV files available.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there's a good way to make these
suggestions.

This is a good way.

P.S. Whatever happened to the Creative Commons wiki idea? This might
be a good example for something to go on there. I'd definitely
volunteer to help get it started.

It's coming. I had already planned to try to volunteer you for some wikimedia advice, so thanks for the offer. Feel free to keep bugging me if you don't hear anything soon.

--
Mike Linksvayer