cc-licenses - Practical Free Culture

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Practical Free Culture
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 16:13:56 -0400

So, one thing that might be interesting for the CC Web site would be
some tips for practical Free Culture.

For example: providing editable versions of Works, or versions in some
kind of "source" format. Some file formats are easier to modify than
others, and some formats are damn near impossible. If you want to
contribute to Remix Culture, you should provide your Work in a format
that's easy to edit and remix.

An example would be music. Yes, you can and should distribute music in
MP3 or Ogg Vorbis format, but you should also make available WAV files
or whatever track sources are needed.

One of the nice things about the CC licenses is that they don't
require source (or the entire license text) to travel with the
Work. So redistributing is much easier. But for people making
derivatives, it's nice to have the 'real' source to work with.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there's a good way to make these
suggestions.

~ESP

P.S. Whatever happened to the Creative Commons wiki idea? This might
be a good example for something to go on there. I'd definitely
volunteer to help get it started.

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/