cc-licenses - Re: Practical Free Culture

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Practical Free Culture
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:15:29 -0400

>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:23:59 +0200
>From: Andrea Glorioso <andrea.glorioso AT agnula.org>
>Subject: Re: Practical Free Culture
>To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts
> <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>Cc: developers AT lists.agnula.org, fugaz AT agnula.org
>
>[Putting the developers AT lists.agnula.org mailing list in Cc:. To the
>CC listadmin: if you want cc-licenses to be removed because we are OT,
>please tell me and I will immediately comply]

> > Evan Prodromou wrote:
> >> For example: providing editable versions of Works, or versions
> >> in some kind of "source" format. Some file formats are easier
> >> to modify than others, and some formats are damn near
> >> impossible. If you want to contribute to Remix Culture, you
> >> should provide your Work in a format that's easy to edit and
> >> remix.
>
> > That's the idea behind <http://fourthwall.creativecommons.org>.
>
> >> An example would be music. Yes, you can and should distribute
> >> music in MP3 or Ogg Vorbis format, but you should also make
> >> available WAV files or whatever track sources are needed.
>
> > We're going to be working with archive.org and some other
> > projects to encourage making WAV files available.
>
>I'm not sure this is the right list to talk about this, but anyway..
>
>The AGNULA project [0] has officially launched in February 2004 the
>"AGNULA Libre Music" project [1], a web-accessible database of music
>licensed under either of:
>
>* Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 1.0 License
>* Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 License
>* EFF Open Audio License 1.0.1
>
>Funding for the project ended in April 2004, so the main developer and
>maintainer for the web site, Davide Fugazza <fugaz AT agnula.org> (who I
>put in Cc: to this e-mail) is working on a volunteer basis.
>
>Right now we are trying to publicize the project a bit more around
>Italy and Europe, but what I'd very much like to do is get in touch
>and sync with other, similar projects (i.e. libre content archives
>devoted to music).
>
>Some things that we are currently studying are:
>
>- international mirrors of the database
>- international network on streaming net radio, devoted only to Libre
> Music
>- a p2p network for Libre Music content?
>
>I really hope we will be able to discuss how our and other people's
>project can intermix between each other. I'm subscribed to this list,
>but feel free to use the developers AT lists.agnula.org or mail me or
>Davide Fugazza privately if you prefer.
>
>bye,
>
>--
>Andrea Glorioso andrea.glorioso AT agnula.org
>AGNULA Technical Manager http://www.agnula.org/
>M: +39 333 820 5723 F: +39 (0)51 930 31 133
> "Libre Audio, Libre Video, Libre Software: AGNULA"
>
>[0] http://www.agnula.org/
>[1] http://muzik.agnula.org/

Fantastic. Over the past year, I have noticed a huge movement towards groups
(including non-profits) and individuals developing content that use CC
licenses. I try to support these efforts by doing what I can which is usually
telling friends and associates out what I find.

The music side of this movement is really taking off.

Good luck!

Mitch Featherston