cc-licenses - Re: Practical Free Culture

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: developers AT lists.agnula.org, fugaz AT agnula.org
  • Subject: Re: Practical Free Culture
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:54:30 -0700

Andrea Glorioso wrote:
The AGNULA project [0] has officially launched in February 2004 the
"AGNULA Libre Music" project [1], a web-accessible database of music
licensed under either of:

* Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike 1.0 License
* Creative Commons Attribution 1.0 License
* EFF Open Audio License 1.0.1

Surely PD qualifies as libre? <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain>.

Some things that we are currently studying are:

- international mirrors of the database

http://ibiblio.org would be a good start.

- international network on streaming net radio, devoted only to Libre
Music

iRATE radio http://irate.sf.net isn't streaming, but might eventually have the ability to only play music under desired licenses.

Also see http://decentralize.org/ the home of Alluvium.

Also lots of playlist aggregators like http://webjay.org can serve a similar purpose.

We do have interest from someone running a traditional streaming site for hosting a CC channel.

- a p2p network for Libre Music content?

I think http://gnomoradio.org/ wants to be that. Among others.

I really hope we will be able to discuss how our and other people's
project can intermix between each other. I'm subscribed to this list,
but feel free to use the developers AT lists.agnula.org or mail me or
Davide Fugazza privately if you prefer.

It looks like http://muzik.agnula.org still has some very visible bugs -- I get one or more warnings along the lines of

Warning: Undefined index: preferences in /mnt/var/www/muzik.agnula.org/htdocs/manager.php on line 31

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /mnt/var/www/muzik.agnula.org/htdocs/manager.php:31) in /mnt/var/www/muzik.agnula.org/htdocs/manager.php on line 157

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "" in /mnt/var/www/muzik.agnula.org/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1151

on every page. After uploading I got a page with only an error message, though going back it looked like the upload was successful, though artist/album/track#/title were'nt picked up.

Also it isn't immediately obvious where one should go to contribute music ("Manager"). And once you're there it isn't obvious that you can only upload by, by-sa, or oal tracks (and I hope pd will be added). It is kind of a pain to upload a by-nc-sa (for example) track and realize after uploading that license is not allowed (I understand for good reason, just a UI suggestion).

While I'm at it, one thing that really bugs me is the lack of direct download links. Muzik.angula.org isn't alone in this at all, unfortunately.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://muzik.agnula.org/view.php?view=track&id=134

Download link is

http://muzik.agnula.org/download.php?id=134

which redirects to

http://muzik.agnula.org/files/mima/03_-_Mima_-_A_espera.mp3

that's better than having download.php?id=134 just sending the mp3 contents with

Content-Disposition "attachment; filename=03_-_Mima_-_A_espera.mp3"

but it is still painful to a) download and share the file and b) use with services like <http://webjay.org> that depend upon direct download URLs.

Finally, it's really cool that you're publishing RDF in accordance with <http://creativecommons.org/technology/nonweb>. Two small suggestions regarding that:

- Also add

<Work rdf:about="">
<license rdf:resouce="{license_url}"/>
</Work>

so that <http://search.creativecommons.org>, which currently only looks at metadata for the current document, may index your content. It would also make things easier if you'd add the appropriate license button to each page (e.g., <http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights.png>), otherwise URLs need to be added manually via <http://search.creativecommons.org/url-add/>.

- And actually embed in mp3 and ogg files a copyright statement with reference to the page containing RDF also according to <http://creativecommons.org/technology/nonweb>.

One last thing -- it would be super cool if you could also ask whether an uploaded song is derived from another, asking for a URL for the source song(s) if that is the case, and publish dc:source as appropriate in the metadata (and expose someplace in the web page).

Sorry if that seems like a lot of "suggestions" (I have many more!) coming from nowhere. If I'm being overly critical it is because on first glance your site has tons of potential.

Please let me know when the PHP warnings mentioned above are taken care of and I'll post an entry at <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/> about Agnula.

Thanks,
Mike

--