cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A Voice in The Void

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT usu.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A Voice in The Void
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:34:13 -0700

The comments about noncommercial use were really interesting to me. During the last period of activity on the list there seemed to be a consensus that we should attempt to rebrand the atrtibution-noncommercial-sharealike as the CC Education License.

A few days ago there was a proposal for an Education License and an Open Education License. I think multiple options from day one will likely confuse an issue we've already agreed needs to be simplified for the target audience. We're trying to provide a bundle in the Education License so that people won't have to deal with options (at least initially).

I'd like to know from people on the list if they're more in favor of including or ditching the noncommercial clause?

What do you say everyone? Would you take a few moments to speak to educators you know and ask if "educational use" to them implies this noncommercial restriction or if it seems an awkward? Though informal, I think taking a user pulse would be an excellent way to move forward.

David