cc-education - RE: [cc-education] A Voice in The Void.

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Heather Ford <hford AT csli.stanford.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-education] A Voice in The Void.
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:34:42 -0800

Thanks Stephen and David for your great comments on this.

> It is worthwhile to think of setting up an open system whereby Open Office
> users are able to tap directly into (CC and equivalent licensed) RSS feeds
> distributing free content. For example, a direct connection between
> OpenOffice and Wikipedia would be most useful.

This sounds really interesting, Stephen - would love you to explain more about how you think this could work/look. I've been thinking a lot about how to make this connection more direct than just having a list of open content on the cc website. I'd love to find a way of extending the user-friendliness that CC is becoming well-known for, in developing this side more - but I'm still trying to work out how it would look.

> It is going to be important for those who promote open access to think of
> the content infrastructure as an interconnected network extending from the
> author directly through to the user's desktop applications. Anything less,
> and it will be controlled and monopolized.

Couldn't agree with you more - but I think that this is becoming a problem as a lot of software and content is being developed as 'open source' etc. with no openness in the actual *process*. I don't know if this is relevant anywhere else, but in the development/humanitarian aid sector, it is really critical for the *process* rather than just the product to be open to comment, alteration, suggestion, support etc.

I am very much involved with the Debian community, and therefore
familiar with OpenOffice.org.
With the kind of content involved in these two posts I took the liberty
of onforwarding a copy to their developers' mailing list.
It should reach a cast of thousands within hours.
Working example.

Great :) Look forward to hearing what they have to say.

You have some nice ideas, Heather.
I have recently assisted Christiane Aschenfeldt with setting up the New
Zealand aspect of the CC internationalization programme.
I think that the cultural potential there with the Maori, Tongan,
Samoan, and other tribal mentality groups has real potential with
respect to open source and CC.

I would *love* to hear more about this - it would be great to present some of the ideas behind the New Zealand project in terms of the 'cultural potential' that you talk about. Is there somewhere that I can find info?

I know that they have taught me a lot.
You may well have the same potential in South Africa.

I do hope so.

best,

Heather.