cc-education - RE: [cc-education] A Voice in The Void.

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Palmer <davidpalmer AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: "'cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-education] A Voice in The Void.
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:03:44 -0000

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 01:08, Downes, Stephen wrote:
> The comment about OpenOffice is interesting.
>
> As you may know, MS is signing deals with various content providers for
> exclusive access as subscription-based resources into Office products (think
> of it as 'son-of-Smart-Tags'). This method of circumventing normal
> information distribution channels effectively gives MS control over content
> distribution (terms of which would be enforced by the MS Rights Management
> Server).
>
> It is worthwhile to think of setting up an open system whereby Open Office
> users are able to tap directly into (CC and equivalent licensed) RSS feeds
> distributing free content. For example, a direct connection between
> OpenOffice and Wikipedia would be most useful.
>
> It is going to be important for those who promote open access to think of
> the content infrastructure as an interconnected network extending from the
> author directly through to the user's desktop applications. Anything less,
> and it will be controlled and monopolized.
>
> -- Stephen
>
> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
> Stephen Downes ~ E-Learning Group ~ National Research Council Canada
> stephen AT downes.ca -~- http://www.downes.ca
> For free daily news and information about e-learning and related
> technology, visit OLDaily at http://www.downes.ca/news
> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Hello,

I am very much involved with the Debian community, and therefore
familiar with OpenOffice.org.
With the kind of content involved in these two posts I took the liberty
of onforwarding a copy to their developers' mailing list.
It should reach a cast of thousands within hours.
Working example.

You have some nice ideas, Heather.
I have recently assisted Christiane Aschenfeldt with setting up the New
Zealand aspect of the CC internationalization programme.
I think that the cultural potential there with the Maori, Tongan,
Samoan, and other tribal mentality groups has real potential with
respect to open source and CC.
I know that they have taught me a lot.
You may well have the same potential in South Africa.

Hello Stephen.
How's Nietzsche going?
Regards,

David.