baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and youtube
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:24:46 GMT

Puppy linux Seamonkey 1.1 on a Thinkpad 400MHz with 228MB emory.
Puppy used 105MB to boot (loads itself into RAM). Seamonkey uses
another 50MB. Youtube another 60MB. 215/228MB used total.

Video AM probably about 2MB. The Flash site says you don't really need
128MB video RAM, it can be done with software instead (and this is probably
just for games).

Windows 450MHz 128MB RAM is supposed to work for flash. Presumably
Win98 not Vista. For linux they list 800MHz 512MB which might be true
for the latest Ubuntu but not for smaller linuxes.

I attempted to play a few videos. The public library internet connection
was 14 K/sec at the branch and 5-10K/sec at the main library (via ethernet
cabbut a local coffee shop is fast enough.

Playing a youtube video - 94% RAM, 85% cpu time.
Youtube frame rate is 30 FPS (frames per second).
My frames were changing every 1-2 sec - .5-1.0 FPS.

Was not using any swap space so CPU speed must be the limiting factor.

1 frame per second is not bad for watching a knitting video. It is
more than 'jerky' but you can pause it and look at the still photos.
1GHz with 384MB RAM should be up to 3 FPS, maybe even better since the
video card in the desktop is probably faster. Still an improovement over
having to use the library internet connection. In Detroit they make you
sign up ahead of time to use an internet connection.

BL would probably leave more CPU time for flash than Puppy. I will try to
turn off a bunch of demons to free up some resources.

Steven, have you attempted to add Flash to BL2?