baslinux - Re: [BL] BL and youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL and youtube
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:52:22 +0000 (UTC)

How much CPU speed and RAM would BL need to view a downloaded
flash video with mplayer? Maybe after converting formats.

I guess it depends also on your video card. But in BL you need to have
enough grunt to run MPlayer. And you need to have an MPlayer that can
handle .flv files.

Does the one David Moberg compiled?

I have watched DVDs at 500MHz with 128MB RAM. -hardframedrop.

I can play most videos (except high definition with > 1200 pixels wide)
on my 600 MHz AMD K6 with 256 MB RAM in BL.

DVDs are about 740 res and 16-bit color.

In DOS, same machine but with only 64 MB RAM available, same thing.

Is there a flash player for DOS?

Flash at 400MHz dropped 29/30 of all frames - a bit excessive.

I downloaded a 34 second youtube skating video via dialup.

At 533Mhz and 256MB RAM (with 'small' Puppy loaded into about 100MB of this RAM), seamonkey with youtube (after downloading) used 92% of CPU time and was jerky. At 1000MHz only 82% and much less jerky (hard to tell if the original was jerky to start with). The video card in the 1000MHz tested twice as fast with syschk (ATI Rage vs a Trident Cyberblade, both VESA 2.0 and both AGP4X as the boards would not accept AGP2X).
And there was more free memory (384MB total, but Puppy used more when it had more available).

I don't use Flash AT ALL on ANY OS I run. But I can usually get the
actual media files, except those that are hidden inside an .swf file.

For Youtube, I take the URL to a Youtube retriever and download the
.flv or .mp4 file from there.
e.g. http://kej.tw/flvretriever/
or: http://downthisvideo.com/

For other so-called "Flash" websites, I use Arachne and NEmedia (DOS) to
extract the URL of the .flv files which I can then download directly.
Some I can even stream with MPlayer (both DOS and BL).

Where is there a DOS mplayer?

The 1GHz computer is leaving with Puppy but I hope to get Seamonkey working with flash in BL eventually.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/