baslinux - Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Tseng with X servers
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:37:37 -0700

On 8/25/05, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> Tried XF86_SVGA with Tseng ET6000 because Abiword won't work in BL2 under
> Xvesa (xset won't work) or xfbdev (does not even get as far as xset not
> working) and it might work with plain X.
>
> > Among other error messages: Can't load color "Black" and error opening
> > security policy file (which I also got for Chips and Technologies but I
> > think this could be ignored). XFree86 is supposed to be buggy for the
> > Tseng cards. I can next try the XF86_W32 server (specific to Tseng) and
> > run the configuration program to generate XF86Config. Wish me luck!
>

> It turns out that the problem is with rxvt, not the server. Something to
> do with rxvt can't load "white" or "Black". I had the same problem with
> the W32 server.

This is a server problem. Make sure that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt exists.
Also make sure that it contains proper color entries (such as white and
Black).

If you don't have an rgb.txt you can obtain one from the net.

In some cases you need to specify the path to the rgb.txt file in XF86Config
but I don't think that this is the case in this situation.

> My range is 31.5-54kHz hsync, 50-120Hz vert refresh, and I added
> Modeline "1280x1024" 8686 1280 1280 1536 1664 1024 1025 1038 1042
>
> 1280 looks rather fuzzy but the colors are correct and the monitor at
> least lets me adjust the size and position and shape of the viewing
> screen. The bottom part of icewm is cut off no matter what size or
> position I use - I see a very narrow white strip only. ???

Your modeline is too far "up" on the monitor. Use xvidtune (as James
suggested) to move it to the proper position.

> I have a Matrox card that displays only at 1024 on another monitor that I
> know does 1280 (with Tseng) and will try the X server with researched
> modeline - or is there some way to determine the correct modeline
> yourself?. (DOS video diagnostic program won't display more than 1024,
> nor will zgv, but one of them USED to work at 1600 and must have failed
> somehow). We have monitors that won't do more than 800 with S3 or Cirrus
> but do 1024 with Tseng or Trident so xsvga might be the cure for them too.

XFree 4 might be an option. But you would need to download the right
binaries.

> With XF86_SVGA rxvt 'can't load color "Black"', and with w32 server it
> can't load white OR black. With Xvesa it works fine.

Xvesa has a built-in rgb.txt database, so it doesn't need the external one.

> Is there a more recent rxvt that would work in BL2 with Tseng/svga?

Nope, unless the recent ones can work without needing RGB color names.

> David, would you want to compile it statically?

No. I don't think any rxvt exists which will do this better than the existing
rxvts for BL.

David