baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:39:00 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> > Are you dialing with eznet? The eznet in BL1 doesn't
> > work with pppd 2.3
>
> Yes, eznet. What else would I be using?

chat (the default Slackware dialer).

> > It may be possible to use this to get the eznet in
> > BL1 to work with pppd 2.3. But I don't know the syntax
> > for that one.
>
> There must be a man page about this. I don't understand
> man pages. I hope you can figure it out.

I won't need to. I'm recompiling eznet for pppd 2.3 and libc5.

> Let me know when BL3 is available with an eznet that works
> with a pppd that works with the later kernel/modules.

BL3 will be available in March. The last big hurdle is mail.
I think it's almost right, but I can't be sure until I put all
the pieces together (eznet, pppd, pmail, readmail) and run them
on the actual BL3 platform.

> Are you planning to use something other than eznet for dialing
> with BL3?

No, eznet is the dialer.

> Or use BL3 only offline?

No, BL3 is orientated toward networking (especially remote X).
Dial-up ppp is just another form of networking. I've actually
done remote X via my 33.6 modem. It was pretty sluggish, but
it worked.

> I forget why you needed to use a later kernel for BL3.

Xvesa doesn't work with a 2.0 kernel.

> I am surprised you have not run into a lot of other problems
> before this

I've had plenty of problems putting together BL3. One took
ten days of trial & error to resolve.

> with other BL1 programs that won't work with the later kernel.

pppd is the only one so far. There is no reason why a 2.2
kernel should have special problems running libc5 binaries.
Slackware 4.0 runs a 2.2 kernel on libc5.

> Good luck with getting this all together in early March.

I note your use of the word "early". If all goes well today
and tomorrow (with pppd, eznet, pmail and readmail), then yes
it will be early March. However, if (as usual) there is some
unexpected problem, I could be spending a week (or more) redoing
things. Mid-March is a safer bet.