baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:59:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I have downloaded slackware 3.5 /n4/ppp.tgz which puts both
> > pppd-2.2 and pppd-2.3 in /usr/sbin. Do I need to make a symlink
> > pppd pointing to the one of these that matches the kernel I am
> > using
>
> Yes. Or you can simply rename it to pppd.

I renamed pppd-2.3 to pppd.

> > This relates to using the BL1 (glibc5) libraries with the BL2
> > (2.2.16) kernel, which won't work with the older pppd that comes
> > with BL1
>
> The old pppd was compiled for a 2.0 kernel.
>
> > I am trying to test whether lynx compiled statically (no library
> > dependencies) will work with the older library.
>
> If it is truly static, then the older library should be irrelevant.
> The old kernel is more likely to be the problem.

Steven
--------

I booted with the SW71 (BL2) kernel (2.2.16) and have the matching SW71
slhc.o and ppp.o installed. I ran pppsetup to load the modules.

The library is glibc5 (BL1, SW3.5).

ldd pppd-2.2 or 2.3 - libc.so.5.
I presume since these came from SW35 they should be happy with libc.so.5
from SW35 (BL1).

I typed ppp-on and again got a dialing failure.

I rebooted with the older kernel and modules, and I renamed pppd-2.2 to
pppd, and it dialed.

I therefore cannot test static lynx online with the BL1 library and
pppd02,3 fir BK1 and the BL2 kernel and modules, since I can't go online
with that combination. Please let me know when you get it all working
together.

I did not install ppp.tgz, just added pppd-2.3. Perhaps pppd-2.3 requires
some other files to work, that were not needed by pppd-2.2?

Maybe pppd-2.3 for SW35 does not work properly with ppp.o for SW71?

Would it help if you compiled another kernel 2.2.16 which includes ppp.o?
Or compiled pppd-2.3 on a computer with glibc5 and kernel 2.2.16?

I am giving up on this for a while. It is time consuming to add programs
to this laptop, which has no CD-ROM drive. Plip is no longer working for
me and when I try to put in a floppy disk the power usually goes off.
I can download directly to it. I have ppp.tgz uncompressed and can
experiment with adding additional pieces of it if you tell me which ones.

I think it would be a good idea to get BL3 to dial soon.

Sindi Keesan