baslinux - Re: [BL] pdftotext and Links/Lynx browsers

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdftotext and Links/Lynx browsers
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:00:58 -0400 (EDT)

I have this working with DOS, Linux and FreeBSD. You need to add a line
to lynx.cfg. The DOS version is more complicated because there is no way
to output the result directly to the screen, just to a file.

DOS:
DOWNLOADER:View text with pdftotext:pdftotext %1 c:\temp\pdf.txt;list
c:\temp\pdf.txt TRUE

This requires that you have a c:\temp and also that you view files with
list. If you use some text editor substitute that. It takes the pdf file
(%1) and creates from it a file pdf.txt, which you then view with list.
Each time you view a new pdf file it overwrites the old one.

LINUX: /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg (Howard's version that he compiled for us
of lynx 2.84 with ssl, static). The Slackware 2.83 I think put lynx.cfg
some place else

DOWNLOADER:View text with pdftotext:pdftotext %s -|less:TRUE

I don't understand the difference between %1 and %s (could I use %s or %1
in both cases?) but was modeling these on other DOWNLOADER lines.
The switch - means to output directly to screen, which you can do with the
Linux version. If you do not have 'less' substitute more or pico as the
text viewer. Pdftotext needs to be anywhere on the path.

When you run into an online pdf file, back up one link, D to download it,
and you will see a download menu offering you a choice of whatever you
have download lines for, such as 'save to home directory' and 'View text
with pdftotext'. At my bbs we also have the option of mailing the file.

I also added the line
DOWNLOADER:View tables/frames with links219:links219 %s:TRUE

For 'links219' substitute whatever you are calling links 2.1.9

I have not tried using links 2.1.9 graphical as a downloader - if you get
that going let me know.

Maybe: ........:links219 -g -mode 640x480x256 %s:TRUE

Please let me know if you have checked out pdfimage and pdftops. Doug
wants to be sure they work before giving a go-ahead to post them. I have
been too busy recently.

Steven will have to explain how to use pdftotext with Links. Something to
do with setup/associations and file extensions. I got seejpeg working
this way with links by looking at how he set up the BL1 version of links
to work with a viewer. I am using lynx as my primary browser and only
using links when I need to display tables and frames.