xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with "Missing scheme in absolute URI reference"

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: XOM interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with "Missing scheme in absolute URI reference"
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:10:56 +0000

Thanks,

Tatu Saloranta wrote:
--- On Thu, 1/1/09, Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

I may have spoken too soon. libxml agrees with xerces:

~/tmp$ xmllint --loaddtd tests.xml<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/03/WD-SVG-20000303/DTD/svg-20000303-stylable.dtd";>
<svg xmlns="%SVGNamespace;"/>

There's still a real bug here, but it's likely in the DTD design, not Xerces. Pretty obviously, the DTD does not say what its

I think this is correct, if snippet above is accurate: PEs are only resolved
in DTD subsets. In this case reference is within regular xml content, so it
is not recognized as PE. Perhaps intention was to use a General Entity
instead, which would work as expected.

To make it clear, my example was
<!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/03/WD-SVG-20000303/DTD/svg-20000303-stylable.dtd";>
<svg/>

and no explicit mention of any namespace. The program I used (pstoedit) did not explicitly namespace any elements and this was the smallest example I could make that shows the bug (I had an XML declaration but assume that isn't the problem). I would assume - like Tatu - that the PE would not be replaced in Eliotte's example. I can't see how any namespaces could be applied to the svg element, so I am still mystified as to how the bug materializes.