xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with "Missing scheme in absolute URI reference"

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Problem with "Missing scheme in absolute URI reference"
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 14:12:20 -0800

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
Elliotte Harold wrote:
Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

"<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>"+
"<!DOCTYPE svg SYSTEM \"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/03/WD-SVG-20000303/DTD/svg-20000303-stylable.dtd\";>"+
"<svg/>",

The problem with this one seems to be that Xerces is passing "%SVGNamespace;" as the namespace URL for the root element, rather than "http://www.w3.org/svg/whatever";. This looks like an unresolved parameter entity reference. Possibly it's a Xerces bug. I still need to look further. But it does still feel like there's a real bug here that XOM is warning you about.

This looks like a xerces bug. In particular, using sax.DocumentTracer, with XOM nowhere in sight, on this document, I see that Xerces is firing:

$ java -cp /opt/xml/xerces/xercesImpl.jar:/opt/xml/xerces/xercesSamples.jar sax.DocumentTracer -v tests.xml
startElement(uri="%SVGNamespace;",localName="svg",qname="svg",attributes={{uri="",localName="preserveAspectRatio",qname="preserveAspectRatio",type="CDATA",value="xMidYMid meet"}

XOM notices that Xerces is feeding it garbage and rightfully complains. I count this as a victory for XOM's strict error handling. :-)

I do still have to check that the DTD is correct though. Assuming it is, would you like to report the bug to Xerces, or shall I?

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA