xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] License Poll

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Dirk Bergstrom <dirk AT juniper.net>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] License Poll
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:21:29 -0800

Wolfgang Hoschek was heard to exclaim, On 02/08/05 19:56:
> I'd be interested in what current XOM users would prefer as a license.

I don't particularly care. I develop software for internal company use, so
any open source license works for me. Juniper's product is built on top of
FreeBSD, so we're open-source friendly.

Personally I like the Free-as-in-Speech aspects of the GPL, but it in a
corporate setting it can present some hassles. When I contributed large
improvements to gnatsweb (the web front-end to the gnu bug tracking system),
the FSF wanted me to assign them the copyright on my work. Reasonable, but
this required that Juniper's lawyers and the FSF's lawyers dicker over the
terms of the assignment.

So anyways, I cast my vote for the LGPL. It's well known, and has the Freedom
that Elliotte said he likes.

--
Dirk Bergstrom dirk AT juniper.net
Juniper Networks Inc., Computer Geek