xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Builder argument swap

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Nils_Kilden-Pedersen AT Countrywide.Com
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Builder argument swap
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:29:47 -0800

How about making it explicit, i.e. adding a boolean argument:
preserveBaseURI. Would that work?

Nils
To: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:52:26 -0600
From: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

John Cowan writes:

> Bradley S. Huffman scripsit:
>
> > Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:
> >
> > > We've discussed this in the past, and the result was the current
> > > behavior. However, I could be convinced that elements should retain
> > > their base URI on being detached from the parent. Right now that
> > > isn't obviously right though.
> >
> > Right now sometimes they retain there base URI when they're detached,
> > sometimes they don't, it all depends on how the base URI is set.
>
> I think that violates the Law of Least Astonishment, and on reflection I
> also now think that elements should retain their base URIs when detached.
> The base URI is an essential part of an element's meaning if the element
> contains relative URIs in its content or attribute values; moving it
> around from one document (or part of a document) to another shouldn't
> implicitly change the meaning.
>
> If this is to be done, the question is, how? Shall detaching an element
> just cause the base URI to be set internally, and leave generating
> xml:base attributes up to the Serializer, or should it actually generate
> an Attribute object at detach time? I incline to the former.

After more thought and when base URIs come up again on the JDOM mailing
list, I think I'm going to suggest that parent nodes carry the actual base
URI with methods to set/get the actual base URI only, and move all code for
resolution to a seperate class (XBase). It means a extra class, but it
would keep things simple in the core with no infomation hidden and moves
the troubling parts to single class that could be subclassed when ambiguities
arise. To me this approach seems to follow the K.I.S.S. principle.

Brad