xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Builder argument swap

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Bradley S. Huffman" <hip AT cs.okstate.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Builder argument swap
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:33:28 -0500

At 11:52 AM -0600 3/23/04, Bradley S. Huffman wrote:

After more thought and when base URIs come up again on the JDOM mailing
list, I think I'm going to suggest that parent nodes carry the actual base
URI with methods to set/get the actual base URI only, and move all code for
resolution to a seperate class (XBase). It means a extra class, but it
would keep things simple in the core with no infomation hidden and moves
the troubling parts to single class that could be subclassed when ambiguities
arise. To me this approach seems to follow the K.I.S.S. principle.

I disagree. I'm not 100% clear on what you're proposing, but it seems to add an extra class without adding any functionality. I don't see how subclassers could use this to change the behavior of base URI resolution on detachment, nor would I want to add such an unusual piece of functionality. The use case feels too small to justify the extra cl;ass.

Effective XML (Addison-Wesley, 2003)