wikiworld - Re: [Wiki World] Let's open the list :)

wikiworld AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: WikiWorld

  • From: "Milos Rancic" <millosh AT gmail.com>
  • To: WikiWorld <wikiworld AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Wiki World] Let's open the list :)
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:17:21 +0200

On 8/31/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher AT gmail.com> wrote:
> I fwded your post to TiddlyWiki and to someone who will hopefully send
> it to TWiki. At work we use pmWiki... maybe I should find a mailing
> list for them.

Thanks for the announcing the list. I made two pages on the wiki:
* TODO list (http://www.ibiblio.org/wikiworld/index.php/TODO_list)
* and "Contact relevant projects"
(http://www.ibiblio.org/wikiworld/index.php/Contact_relevant_projects)

I think that the purpose of both lists are clear, so feel free to
contribute there.

> Well according to the definition Milos wrote, TiddlyWiki does not even
> qualify as a wiki because by default only one person can edit it. :)
> Since the plugins that make it like a "normal" wiki are very popular I
> figure it's close enough. (Plus, TiddlyWiki is extremely cool.)

:) Maybe the purpose of the definition was a little bit confusing. Of
course that everyone is welcome to join the list and talk with us
about everything related to wiki. The purpose of the definition was
just to make at least soft borders around the projects who should/are
welcome to/ delegate persons in governing the project. Even it would
never be used because all participants are content with list/project
managing (like I was never thinking about managing of Wikimedia lists,
for example).

At the other side, I think that we shouldn't be puritans. A lot of
projects wouldn't pass at least one of a number of possible
conditions.

Also, if you think that some definition is not good enough and you
have better, change it and announce it here. "Please, use discussion
page before you change the article" is not the warning for people who
know what they are doing.

> So as far as I see it this list can have a few purposes...
> - tech discussion about different wiki engines, different ways they
> implement things
> - social discussion about different practices of managing communities
> (how to put the B in BDFL)
> - maybe discussion on how to promote and start a wiki (community) in
> the first place
> - maybe also 'does anyone know a wiki on this topic?' 'would a wiki on
> this work?' etc.

I used your list to make an initial page
http://www.ibiblio.org/wikiworld/index.php/What_we_are_talking_about
(and linked the page from the Main Page). I think that it is useful to
have such list. Of course, anyone else is welcome to update the list.