unclug - Re: [unclug] is this list active?...

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: dsandif <dsandif AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] is this list active?...
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:15:45 -0400

Brian Payst wrote:

If this is a critical piece, have you thought about using WebDAV? There
are GUI WebDAV clients available, it can be run over HTTPS and it
respects authentication (it actually does vesioning as well if desired).

http://www.webdav.org/

The cool part is it is much more accessible remotely than Samba. You can
even mount a WebDAV filesystem in Linux and use it like a local drive.

This sounds like a good tool, which WebDAV Project would you recomend?,  although if I had too, I could just make the users use the SSH secure Shell File Transfer program (kinda like ws_ftp) and leave it at that. They could login using this SSH program and have the gui to see and transfer files.  But I suppose I'd better start with Samba first and get that up and running. Do I need to get the rpm from samba.org or should I try and use the RH version?

D-

Brian Payst wrote:

Samba can do all of that, except for this piece:

*I want them to use SSH to get to their folders, but once they ssh in, I
want there to be a GUI\Window that they can work with that will allow
them to see and use their files  just as if they were looking at their
files in a mswindows environment

Samba is an implementation of windows file/print services and is
designed to give windows clients access via their native protocols.

If this is a critical piece, have you thought about using WebDAV? There
are GUI WebDAV clients available, it can be run over HTTPS and it
respects authentication (it actually does vesioning as well if desired).

http://www.webdav.org/

The cool part is it is much more accessible remotely than Samba. You can
even mount a WebDAV filesystem in Linux and use it like a local drive.

If you can live without that part then Samba can definitely do what you
want. Passwords are encrypted with Samba so you might be doing a bit of
overkill there. You should find a copy of Using Samba if you haven't
already:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/