unclug - Re: [unclug] is this list active?...

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: hays AT ibiblio.org
  • To: unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] is this list active?...
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:12:33 -0400

--On Friday, September 3, 2004 12:10 PM -0400 unclug-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure but I think we have spoken before...

Anyway, this is what I trying to do:

I am setting up a new Samba file server for my department to give the
following groups access to their own individual storage folders

Faculty-
Staff-
Students-

*I want to give each user under these groups at least 5 gigs of storage
space to work with-

*Restrict access to all other areas of the server except personal storage
space-

Should be a problem, samba only give access to defined shares, not the entire hd.

*I want them to use SSH to get to their folders, but once they ssh in, I
want there to be a GUI\Window that they can work with that
will allow them to see and use their files just as if they were
looking at their files in a mswindows environment-

This isn't the way samba works--it provide sharepoints, so they won't ssh into it--rather, they will mount the shares to their desktops, just as if they were mounting a windows share.

*I would like one area for each group to have in their own confines to
use as a share space. Likewise, I would like to create
one main share space folder for all groups to use as well-

*I want to restrict the heck out of this Samba file server to only those
people\computers\groups within this department-

You can set a range of ip numbers allowed to use the samba service, or you could use a firewall.

*And some how, I want to use Samba or some other app. to do voluntary and
involuntary (scheduled) backups of data-

Not samba, but you can do this with rsync.

Is this possible with Samba?, I'm doing lots of reading here but I could
use a hand. Let me know what you think & Thxs.

Have you looked at swat? That helps a bunch when you're getting started?

--

bil hays