unclug - Re: [unclug] is this list active?...

unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: UNC Linux Users Group

  • From: Brian Payst <brian_payst AT unc.edu>
  • To: UNC Linux Users Group <unclug AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [unclug] is this list active?...
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:29:28 -0400

Samba can do all of that, except for this piece:

*I want them to use SSH to get to their folders, but once they ssh in, I want there to be a GUI\Window that they can work with that will allow them to see and use their files just as if they were looking at their files in a mswindows environment

Samba is an implementation of windows file/print services and is designed to give windows clients access via their native protocols.

If this is a critical piece, have you thought about using WebDAV? There are GUI WebDAV clients available, it can be run over HTTPS and it respects authentication (it actually does vesioning as well if desired).

http://www.webdav.org/

The cool part is it is much more accessible remotely than Samba. You can even mount a WebDAV filesystem in Linux and use it like a local drive.

If you can live without that part then Samba can definitely do what you want. Passwords are encrypted with Samba so you might be doing a bit of overkill there. You should find a copy of Using Samba if you haven't already:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/

dsandif wrote:

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure but I think we have spoken before...

Anyway, this is what I trying to do:

I am setting up a new Samba file server for my department to give the following groups access to their own individual storage folders

*Faculty-*
*Staff-*
*Students-***

*I want to give each user under these groups at least 5 gigs of storage space to work with-

*Restrict access to all other areas of the server except personal storage space-

*I want them to use SSH to get to their folders, but once they ssh in, I want there to be a GUI\Window that they can work with that
will allow them to see and use their files just as if they were looking at their files in a mswindows environment-

*I would like one area for each group to have in their own confines to use as a share space. Likewise, I would like to create
one main share space folder for all groups to use as well-

*I want to restrict the heck out of this Samba file server to only those people\computers\groups within this department-

*And some how, I want to use Samba or some other app. to do voluntary and involuntary (scheduled) backups of data-

Is this possible with Samba?, I'm doing lots of reading here but I could use a hand. Let me know what you think & Thxs.

D-

Brian Payst wrote:

I think we're all just quietly running our servers.

I've used Samba a fair amount and currently have a server running. What
so you need help with?

Brian

dsandif wrote:

> I don't see much activity here on UNClug of late. Kinda looks like the
> linux movement is dying out here at UNC. Guess NCSU will have the
> monopoly in the triangle area, but I figure it sorta helps when you have
> RedHat sitting smack in the middle of your campus. Do we have any samba
> users here on UNClug?, need some input in setting up a file server.
> Thxs.
>
> D-

Brian Payst, MS
Director of Technology & Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs
voice: (919) 962-1469 fax: (919) 962-5241