typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: mike AT appelstein.com
  • To: lpgibbon AT yahoo.com, typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:23:33 -0400

I understand what you're saying, and I definitely understand the tendency to look at the past through rose-colored glasses. But at the same time, why should latecomers miss out on inspiring art/music/writing just because they happened to be too young, or just otherwise occupied, the first time? I don't think there's anything wrong with exploring the past, especially if it helps inspire the future. Perhaps a balance of past and present works best.

-Mike
mike AT appelstein.com
http://djearlybird.blogspot.com
http://www.youngmarblegiants.com

Quoting Layla Gibbon <lpgibbon AT yahoo.com>:

One of the things I like about punk culture is that it
is transient. It kind of annoys me that suddenly now
everyone is so reverent towards the ephemera, people
bidding on ebay for fanzines and demos that would have
disappeared in previous generations.