typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: J Neo Marvin <j_n_e_o AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:58:07 -0700

It also could be that Lois got tired of being confused with that annoying
person she named her band after. ;-)

-J Neo Marvin

http://www.earcandleproductions.com
http://www.live365.com/stations/jneomarvin

"You're a nutcase! You're a bleedin' nutcase!"

"They said the same thing about Jesus Christ, Freud and Galileo."

"They said it about a lot of nutcases, too."

- Cook and Moore, "Bedazzled"
----------------------------------------> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:07:30
-0700> To: typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org> From: dbcloud AT panix.com> Subject:
Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl book>>> Yeah, I pretty much agree with you
there--nobody's wishing harder> than I am for the Go Team stuff to be
available on a shiny new CD, I> would totally buy a Fertile Virgin ringtone,
etc. (Note: that looks> like sarcasm, but isn't.) But there are some
legitimate arguments,> along the same lines, for not reissuing some things. A
couple of> years ago, I asked Lois Maffeo for permission to post some MP3s
from> the Courtney Love (-the-band) singles on my blog; she responded,>
essentially, that since I'd asked, she had to say no: those records> were
really meant for people who were part of a particular scene at a> particular
time, and while she was happy to see them being propagated> on mix tapes
etc., she didn't want to be officially responsible> herself for making them
available again outside their intended> cultural context. Which seemed fair
to me.>> Like Tobi, I'd also rather see a new musical/cultural/political>
movement than more documentation of the old one--!>> On the Yoko Ono front: I
have probably mentioned this here before,> but she was one of the best, most
interesting interviewees I've ever> talked to, and pretty much every other
journalist I know who's> interviewed her has had the same reaction. I'm not
quite as crazy> about _Approximately Infinite Universe_ as Tobi and J Neo are
("Death> of Samantha" aside), but _Plastic Ono Band_ and _Fly_ are both>
mindbendingly fantastic records. _Life with the Lions_ is pretty> riveting,
too.>> Douglas>> Mike wrote:>>>All good points. And I wasn't really thinking
about the 50-copy>>photocopy zines, anyway; it's totally understandable that
the authors>>would be uncomfortable seeing them anthologized or uploaded.
I'm>>thinking more about the actual music that came out during that era
->>the cassettes, 7-inches and LPs. It seems to me that the songs and>>live
shows were generally meant for larger audiences than the zines.>>It seems a
shame to deprive today's youth of Viva Knieval, Heavens To>>Betsy's
"Direction" single or the _A Wonderful Treat_ cassette, for>>instance.>