typicalgirls - Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "m. d." <pepitaforever AT yahoo.es>
  • To: "Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [TypicalGirls] Riot Grrrl: genre vs. musical-political ethos
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:01:58 +0200 (CEST)

"we used to right down a list of these bands for every
girl we met who was wanting more.
we'd go here: go find records by these bands: 1.
raincoats. 2. slits 3. delta 5 etc. and go watch these
movies, 1. the fabulous stains 2. out of the blue 3.
time square etc...."

In some kind of domino effect, that's how, living in a
small town in Spain, I got to hear about those bands.
I remmember, around 95 or 96,
a friend came home with a xerox copy of a long Melody
Maker article about Riot Grrl, where those kind of
bands and movies lists where printed
(maybe the same lists?). So starting from that we
followed the bread crumb trail and looked for those
"pre-RG" records and got into Raincoats, Slits, etc.

What I never managed was to get copies of Jigsaw, so,
my vote for more jigsaw back issues online...please.

-
mabel

--- Sharon Cheslow <decomposition AT mindspring.com>