typicalgirls - [TypicalGirls] rip it up and start again

typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Typical Girls: Women in Punk/Post-Punk/Underground Music (Circa 1975-1980s)

  • From: "Dina Hornreich" <dina8 AT cox.net>
  • To: "Typical Girls" <typicalgirls AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [TypicalGirls] rip it up and start again
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:11:11 -0500

To answer the question posed, the "new" (at least for Americans) Reynolds book is a page turner. TG content includes discussion of: The Slits, The Raincoats, Delta 5, Siouxsie + Banshees, Bush Tetras, Au Pairs, Talking Heads, Altered Images, Young Marble Giants, Lydia Lunch, Bow Wow Wow, DNA, and probably some others that I've forgotten (Y Pants and Essential Logic were name dropped but not discussed, I don't think).

It's not as esoteric as The Sex Revolts (which I actually enjoyed but read in an academic context) and it gives plenty of background (no a priori knowledge of these bands is required).

Reading the book helped me remember why I liked certain records -- many of which I am regretting having sold, like the Pere Ubu box set -- and made me want to listen to things I missed the first time around like Human League.

Dina Hornreich
dina8{at}cox{dot}net
http://home.earthlink.net/~dinahornreich