spinix-users - Installing without a CDROM

spinix-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Spinix Users List

  • From: "Ben Logan" <ben AT wblogan.net>
  • To: spinix-users AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Installing without a CDROM
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 06:57:50 -0500

Hello,

I have an old 486 that I would like to install Spinix on. However, the
computer doesn't have a CDROM or NIC in it. :)

I have three other computers, all running Redhat 7.1, and have
successfully connected the 486 with one of them over a PLIP link (booting
off Tom's Root Boot). So, I was wondering if it might be possible for me
to install Spinix over the PLIP link. I realize it would be a bit slow,
but I'd try it anyway.

BTW, this 486 is a 40Mhz with 16Mb of RAM and at least 400Mb of hard disk
space (I can't remember exactly...may be more). Will Spinix do well on
that machine? I was going to experiment with creating my own Linux system
for it, but got discouraged when I failed to make a working boot disk. :-D

I was also wondering if the Spinix kernel is compiled with LVM support. I
have several small hard disks that I would like to put in the 486 to play
around with LVM.

Thanks,
Ben