spinix-users - Re: Installing without a CDROM

spinix-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Spinix Users List

  • From: Ben Logan <ben AT wblogan.net>
  • To: Spinix Users List <spinix-users AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Installing without a CDROM
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 06:37:44 -0500

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:10:21PM -0500, Joseph Spainhour wrote:
> I would suggest taking the hard drive out of the 486 and installing
> it in the RH system. copy the spinix pkg files to the new hard drive
> and then but the drive back in the 486. PLIP will take forever.
> Then install from the hard drive.

Ok. I might also take a CDROM out of one of my other computers and
put it into the 486 for long enough to do the install. I don't have
any free bays in any of the other computers. :)

> The 486 should be fine. I have it running on a 486sx 25mhz. X does
> run slow, but for command line it is great.

I forgot that I had Redhat 6.2 running on the 486 at one point. It
ran pretty well, but it likes the disk space. X ran tolerably on it,
due to a decent onboard S3 video card. I really wouldn't care if X
didn't run, though.

> Let me know if you need any help.

Well, I'm looking at downloading the ISO over a 28Kb dialup connection
(it actually gets about 2-2.5KB/s throughput--that's about 40hrs worth
of downloading ;), and I was wondering if it would be possible to
compress the ISO. I downloaded another Linux ISO once, and it was
about 120M compressed vs. 400+M uncompressed, IIRC.

If that's not feasible, I understand.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

Ralph's Observation:
It is a mistake to let any mechanical object realise that you
are in a hurry.