sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Install weirdness

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Install weirdness
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:26:07 -0700 (PDT)

Sergey A. Lipnevich said:
> Eric Sandall wrote:
>
>>I just installed from the 0.6 ISO last night (athlon-xp, combreloc,
>> strip)
>>and had no such problems.
>>
>>Process:
>>
>>1) Install from CD
>>2) Reboot into SMGL
>>3) copy NVIDIA_nforce tarball from floppy to /var/spool/sorcery
>>4) 'cast -r -c NVIDIA_nforce'
>>
> I didn't know we have that. My hopes are back!

Yep, I just did 'summon NVIDIA_nforce' on a machine with networking,
copied the source to a floppy, then continued on.

>>5) Setup networking
>>6) 'cast -r -c portmap nfs-utils'
>>7) 'mount hellhound:/var/spool/sorcery /var/spool/sorcery'
>>8) 'scribe rem stable' (and remove it from /etc/sorcery/local/grimoire)
>>9) 'scribe add devel'
>>
> And this downloaded devel grimoire so you didn't have to `sorcery
> system-update'?

I never use 'sorcery system-update', I like to do it the manual way, but
it has nothing to do with not having to do 'sorcery system-update', why
would it? All I did was change my grimoire from stable to devel.

>>10) 'sorcery update'
>>
> Doesn't update grimoire, only sorcery.

I know, but as you saw from #9 I had already updated my grimoire...

>>11) 'cast -r -c gcc glibc' (to get gcc 3.3 and glibc setup properly)
>>12) 'sorcery rebuild'
>>
>>I did have problems with console-tools and flex compiling, and the
>>'recompile dependencies on zlib?' question took a while to finish. The
>>machine now is setting up X, so all seems to be good.
>><snip>
>>
> That probably means that the ISO contains bad sorcery code which shows
> up with kernel 2.4. We probably have to instruct people to set up
> networking right after reboot and upgrade to the latest sorcery right
> away before rebuilding.
>
> Sergey.

No, as you can see I had already updated to latest Sorcery (#10) before
rebuildings. flex and console-tools failed due to some weird error (I
think it _might_ be related to gcc 3.3), I will be tracking these down
once I get X working.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61