sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Install weirdness

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Install weirdness
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:48:41 -0400

Eric Sandall wrote:

I just installed from the 0.6 ISO last night (athlon-xp, combreloc, strip)
and had no such problems.

Process:

1) Install from CD
2) Reboot into SMGL
3) copy NVIDIA_nforce tarball from floppy to /var/spool/sorcery
4) 'cast -r -c NVIDIA_nforce'

I didn't know we have that. My hopes are back!

5) Setup networking
6) 'cast -r -c portmap nfs-utils'
7) 'mount hellhound:/var/spool/sorcery /var/spool/sorcery'
8) 'scribe rem stable' (and remove it from /etc/sorcery/local/grimoire)
9) 'scribe add devel'

And this downloaded devel grimoire so you didn't have to `sorcery system-update'?

10) 'sorcery update'

Doesn't update grimoire, only sorcery.

11) 'cast -r -c gcc glibc' (to get gcc 3.3 and glibc setup properly)
12) 'sorcery rebuild'

I did have problems with console-tools and flex compiling, and the
'recompile dependencies on zlib?' question took a while to finish. The
machine now is setting up X, so all seems to be good.
<snip>

That probably means that the ISO contains bad sorcery code which shows up with kernel 2.4. We probably have to instruct people to set up networking right after reboot and upgrade to the latest sorcery right away before rebuilding.

Sergey.