sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Install weirdness

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Install weirdness
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:50:19 -0700 (PDT)

Sergey A. Lipnevich said:
> Jonathan Kelly wrote:
<snip>
>>So I just tried to "cast -r -c linux" and all I got was looked like the
>>text linux kernel config scrolling up the screen repeatedly on the
>>"processor selection". Hmmm ...
>>
> That's what I get with new 0.6 ISO, and this is very disturbing. I tried
> changing architecture (using sorcery UI) to almost /anything/, but I
> can't get any farther with this. I have Athlon XP now, with Pentium 3 it
> was always fine. But, two things: a) kernel compiles by hand using
> athlon as a CPU, which is good; b) 2.5 kernels compile from under
> sorcery (cast linux), but the fun part is make these kernels compile
> regardless of thmeselves, these are still development kernels. And I
> nedd nVidia nForce so I'm trying my luck with 2.5.73, without much
> progress thus far.

I just installed from the 0.6 ISO last night (athlon-xp, combreloc, strip)
and had no such problems.

Process:

1) Install from CD
2) Reboot into SMGL
3) copy NVIDIA_nforce tarball from floppy to /var/spool/sorcery
4) 'cast -r -c NVIDIA_nforce'
5) Setup networking
6) 'cast -r -c portmap nfs-utils'
7) 'mount hellhound:/var/spool/sorcery /var/spool/sorcery'
8) 'scribe rem stable' (and remove it from /etc/sorcery/local/grimoire)
9) 'scribe add devel'
10) 'sorcery update'
11) 'cast -r -c gcc glibc' (to get gcc 3.3 and glibc setup properly)
12) 'sorcery rebuild'

I did have problems with console-tools and flex compiling, and the
'recompile dependencies on zlib?' question took a while to finish. The
machine now is setting up X, so all seems to be good.
<snip>

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61