sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:56:15 +0200

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 07:20:52PM -0500, David Kowis wrote:
> Given a recent revival of interest in SourceMage, I brought up on IRC
> that we could move our primary repositories, wiki, and issue tracking to
> Github.

Firstly, apologies for being late to the party, I had some mail server
troubles the other day and way too much stuff going on IRL to attend to
it.

Anyway, I don't think that moving SMGL to github is in and of itself a
bad idea. Saving $s isn't a bad thing, neither is just being able to use
stuff without having to spend time on maintaining it, nor is using
something that people are familiar with a bad idea.

I do have to agree with Thomas though, do we have to do this now? The
current setup is functional, so at least lets try and get back on track
and see how to proceed afterwards. That being said I do think we should
organize some kind of fund raiser to lessen Jeremy's burden, we've gone
way too long without. David, is that maybe something you'd like to
organize?

As for the whole vendor lock-in thing and the non-OSS thing, I don't see
either being much of a problem. As David said, it's still just git we'll
have our own mirrors of the repo, issue and wiki data can be backed up.
We can leave whenever we need or want to. The reason why I don't see the
non-OSS thing being an issue is that Github will not be part of our
"product" it's just a tool we use, so is the network switch that I use,
as long as it allows us to do what we need to do I don't see much of a
problem, and as soon as it doesn't? Why, we just walk.

Regards, Remko