sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:16:03 -0500

On 09/24/2014 03:07 PM, Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 02:58:31PM -0500, David Kowis wrote:
>> If there are any suggestions to handle a wiki better with less spam,
>> that'd be great. Ideally it'd work where it's super easy to allow people
>> to edit, but keeps the spam down.
>
> I've had very good experiences using a ModSecurity rule set from
> Flameeyes on an otherwise completely open shoutbox. It was being spammed
> very heavily, installed the rule set and not a single spam entry in two
> years. Yet it is still accessible from all platforms and browsers that I
> have ever tried, which was many many different combinations including
> stuff like consoles, phones, tablets and whatnot.
>
> Link to rule set info: https://blog.flameeyes.eu/tag/ruleset

This feels like email blacklisting, but might be as good as it gets :|
Ideally I'd like to see a wiki engine that can do "report this edit as
spam" and deal with statistical spam in smart ways.

> I'd very much like to see the old moinmoin, or some other wiki software
> which can import the moinmoin DB, back up and running. It still has the
> most complete set of documentation that I know of and it was way easier
> to find something on there than that click zoo which is chilliproject.

Indeed, chiliproject has not worked out as well as I would've liked.
It's less of a pain to deal with administratively than bugzilla, but
it's just not fitting us very well.

Perhaps we can get things migrated to a new server. Moin is just files,
btw, which is kind of nice, it just suffers super bad from spam. It's
performance isn't quite as good as some of the others out there, but
maybe we had it set up wrong.