sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:40:54 -0500

On Sep 18, David Kowis [dkowis AT shlrm.org] wrote:
> On 09/18/2014 12:48 AM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > That might be a point: Who is paying the SMGL server at the moment?
> > What kind of setup is it (redundancy, service, blah)? I admit that the
> > mirroring system is the last straw that keeps me from jumping off
> > sourceforge for a project of mine ... I am a bit afraid that my own
> > server could go down and service be broken. But then, my old server
> > went for many years without issue, and it wasn't even any kind of proper
> > server hardware.
>
> Jeremy Blosser is paying for it out of pocket. It's an old box, and it
> doesn't have a whole lot of horsepower. Moving off of those boxes would
> save him actual dollars every month. Moving to github would give us
> additional redundancy, since it'd basically be a "cloud."

While I wouldn't mind not paying I want to make it clear I'm not asking for
it to move. If it needs more horsepower, I have had plans for some years
to migrate it to another datacenter I use, if for no other reason than it's
the only thing I have at the datacenter it's at and I don't like working
with them. Those plans have been on the backburner because of lack of real
demand from the project but I could move them up if there's real need.
That would save me money as well because it would be consolidation.

Once upon a time the project did a yearly chipin of some kind to help pay
for it but that hasn't happened in some time.